Are you interested in what role cultural heritage plays in the way we interact with each other? Have you maybe even experienced different ways in which cultural heritage was perceived? How do our local cultures complement or clash with a collective European identity?
We are setting out to answer these questions and so many more with German and British pupils during an exciting free weekend in Berlin, 15 – 17 June, 2018. Together with UK-German Connection, we are inviting all interested pupils from both countries to work together in exploring the history and future of cultural heritage.
At the Youth Conference on Cultural Heritage we will:
- visit and experience significant cultural heritage sites in Berlin
- explore the topics of remembrance, controversial and industrial heritage in groups and with experts
- discuss what our local and regional identity means to us by engaging with and presenting your thoughts to peers from both Germany and the UK
- take a closer look at how digitalisation shapes our understanding of heritage.
Who can apply?
You can apply if you:
- are a UK or German resident and
- are aged 16-19 and still in full-time education (younger pupils aged 15 can also apply if accompanied by an older pupil from the same school)
- are a member of a youth group (up to age 25) and not currently in higher education
- can demonstrate a strong interest in cultural heritage, and in discussing the above themes with UK and German peers
- are willing and able to actively take part in the conference and contribute to all discussions and activities both before and during the conference
Please note: The main language of the summit will be English, German language skills are not required.
How can I apply
Step 1: Application documents
- Visit the UK-German Connection page for the official registration process
- Fill in the online application documents and explain to us why you are motivated to take part in the conference and what experiences you can draw from that will make your contribution to the summit extra special.
- Download a copy of your application form for reference.
Step 2: Consult your teacher/youth group leader
- Ask your teacher/youth group leader to fill in the reference document (see files to download) quoting your application reference number.
- Then, email this form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- UK-German Connection will need to receive bothyour online application and teacher/youth group leader’s reference (submitted by your teacher/youth group leader) by Thursday, 19 April 2018 at midnight.
- They will notify you of the outcome by late April.
What does it cost?
All costs, including flights, local and domestic travel and full board and lodging will be covered for the participating students.
- Participants from the UK will book their own travel to London in order to travel to and from Berlin with the whole UK group. The cost of your domestic travel will be reimbursed after the conference.
- UK participants will travel togerther from London Heathrow to Berlin in the early afternoon of 15 June and return together in the afternoon of 17 June.
- A small fee of £25 will be requested from selected participants to confirm their participation.
- German participants will travel individually to Berlin to meet the group from the UK on15 June in Berlin. All costs will be reimbursed by UK-German Connection after the conference.
- German participants will meet the whole group in Berlin where everybody will stay together in a youth hostel.
- A small fee €30 will be requested from selected participants to confirm their participation.
Image: (c) British Council