Among experts the ‘Belt of Industry’ (German: Band der Industrie) in Oberschöneweide is known as one of the largest listed industrial ensembles in Germany. In 1895 AEG built modern power and production plants along the river Spree. Today, the HTW Berlin, the University of Applied Sciences, uses part of the former cable plant ‘Oberspree’ (KWO) as its campus. Yet, vast parts of the former industrial cathedrals are vacant and in bad shape.
The guided tour ‘Model City of Industry’ starts in the year 1897. The tour explores the evolution of industrial architecture, ‘Elektropolis Berlin’ as well as the family relations of entrepreneurial dynasty Rathenau. The tour visits the historical AEG social building and AEG’s former car factory that was built by Professor Peter Behrens. 148 steps lead up its tower, offering a panoramic view of Berlin whilst standing on the roof terrace.
Tour language is German. Participation costs 10,- €
Registration is required.
Image: (c) Industriesalon Schöneweide